less than 30 mins
10 to 30 mins
Hairy Bikers recipes
From The Hairy Bikers' Comfort Food
- 20g/¾oz dried wild or porcini mushrooms
- 10g/⅓oz butter
- 2 shallots or 1 leek, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 500g/1lb 2oz fresh mushrooms, a mixture of Portobello, chestnut, button and wild mushrooms, in any combination you like
- 700ml/1¼ pint chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 large sprig thyme
- 25ml/1fl oz sherry or marsala or juice of ½ lemon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley, to serve
Measure 150ml/5fl oz just-boiled water and pour it over the dried mushrooms in a bowl. Leave to soak for 10 minutes.
Heat the butter in a heavy-based saucepan. Finely chop the shallots or leek, and add to the saucepan. Cover and leave to cook on a low heat for 5 minutes.
Add the garlic and fresh mushrooms to the pan. Turn up the heat and cook for a couple of minutes until the mushrooms are glossy.
Strain off the soaking mushrooms, reserving the liquor. Finely chop the soaked mushrooms and add to the pan. Pour in the reserved liquor and the stock, then add the thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
Bring to the boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. Add the sherry, marsala or lemon juice. Remove the sprig of thyme, then cool slightly and carefully blend the soup using a hand-blender. It should be a lovely rich brown colour. Serve immediately topped with a sprinkle of chopped parsley.