less than 30 mins
10 to 30 mins
Hairy Bikers recipes
From The Hairy Bikers' Northern Exposure
- 650g/1lb 7oz potatoes, cut into1cm/½in dice
- 1 large carrot, cut into ½cm/¼in cubes
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 150g/5½oz smoked bacon lardons
- 150g/5½oz leftover roast meat, such as pork, beef and lamb, diced
- 15g/½oz butter
- 2 onions, diced
- 150g/5½oz mushrooms, diced
- large sprig of thyme, leaves only
- 100g/3½oz smoked sausages, diced
- 30g/1oz dried mushrooms, soaked in 150ml/5fl oz just boiled water
- 6 free-range egg yolks
- few tablespoons chopped marjarom or oregano
- lingonberry jam
- few slices of pickled beetroot
Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add the potatoes and carrots. Boil for 5 minutes, then drain.
Heat the vegetable oil in a very large frying pan. Add the bacon lardons and leftover meat. Fry on a medium-high heat until the bacon has rendered its fat and the meat is well seared.
Add the butter to the frying pan. When it has melted, add the onions, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly, then add the potatoes, carrots and sausage.
Spread all of the ingredients out well in the pan, and fry on a medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and thyme and cook for a further few minutes.
Strain the dried mushrooms, reserving their soaking liquor but discarding any gritty sediment. Finely chop the mushrooms and add to the frying pan along with 50ml/2 fl oz of the cooking liquor. Stir thoroughly so everything is well combined.
Season with salt and pepper and cook for a further 5 minutes, until an undercrust has developed, then stir again, scraping up any brown bits on the base of the pan. Repeat, until the carrots and potatoes are completely cooked through and everything is well browned.
Divide the mixture between 6 plates and top each serving with an egg yolk. Serve with a sprinkling of marjoram, lingonberry jam and some pickled beetroot.