less than 30 mins
30 mins to 1 hour
This quick and easy apple pie is a guaranteed hit – it’s got a hint of caramel and a bit of extra crunch.
For the filling
- 70g/2½oz unsalted butter
- 100g/3½oz brown sugar
- 6-8 apples (a mixture of cooking and eating varieties), peeled, cored, cut into 2cm/¾in chunks
For the topping
- 300g/10½oz plain flour
- 200g/7oz cold butter, cubed
- pinch ground cinnamon
- 150g/5oz demerara sugar
- 100g/3½oz porridge oats
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160 Fan/Gas 4.
- For the filling, place a casserole or flameproof baking dish over a medium heat. Add the butter and the sugar and stir until melted and well combined.
- Increase the heat and continue to cook until the mixture has darkened in colour and started to caramelise (take care you don’t burn the mixture or it will taste bitter).
- Add the chopped apples and stir to coat them in the mixture. Continue to cook for 6-8 minutes, or until softened, over a low heat then return the heat to medium and keep cooking until the apple chunks are completely tender. Set the caramelised apples aside to cool while you make the topping.
- For the topping, put the flour in a large mixing bowl. Using your fingertips, rub the cold butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Gently stir in the remaining topping ingredients until well combined.
- Sprinkle the crumble mixture evenly on top of the apple filling. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the filling is piping hot and the crumble is golden-brown all over. Serve with custard or cream.
The apples are cooked in a casserole to reduce the amount of washing up, but can also be cooked in a pan and transferred to a baking dish before adding the crumble topping.