less than 30 mins
30 mins to 1 hour
Bake a batch of these buttery little French cakes to have with a cup of tea or coffee.
Equipment and preparation: You will need a 12-cup madeleine tray.
- 2 free-range eggs
- 100g/3½oz caster sugar
- 100g/3½oz plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 100g/3½oz butter, melted and cooled slightly, plus extra for greasing
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Brush the madeleine tray with melted butter then shake in a little flour to coat, tapping out the excess.
- Whisk together the eggs and the sugar in a bowl until frothy. Lightly whisk in the remaining ingredients. Leave to stand for 20 minutes before carefully pouring into the prepared madeleine tray.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the mixture has risen a little in the middle and is fully cooked through. Transfer the madeleines to a wire rack and leave for a few minutes to cool slightly. These are best eaten within an hour of cooking.
Any of these would work well: La Marca, Prosecco di Conegliano Valdobbiadene Extra Dry NV Italy; Villa Sandi Prosecco Frizzante DOC NV; La Jara Prosecco Frizzante Organic.