less than 30 mins
no cooking required
It’s all about the ingredients here. Throw them together and enjoy this wonderful salad for a blast of Italian flavors.
By Rick Stein
- 200g/7oz mix of bitter leaves, such as at least three of these: cime de rape, puntarelle, radicchio, chicory and curly endive
- 100g/3½oz rocket
- 6 ripe figs, quartered or 2 ripe white peaches, stone removed and sliced
- 10 slices prosciutto, torn into pieces
- 50g/1¾oz Parmesan shavings
- 90g/3¼oz gorgonzola
- 500g/1lb 2oz flavourful ripe tomatoes, core removed, cut into wedges
- 1 tbsp capers, drained
- 40g/1½oz toasted pine nuts
- handful basil leaves
- 60ml/2fl oz olive oil
- 30ml/1fl oz sweet, aged balsamic vinegar
Mix the leaves and rocket in a large serving bowl. Top with chunks of fig or white peach, torn pieces of ham, shavings of Parmesan, chunks of gorgonzola and tomato wedges.
Sprinkle on the capers, basil leaves and pine nuts. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar before tossing well and serving.