less than 30 mins
30 mins to 1 hour
- 320g/11oz rice
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 4 cardamom pods, seeds only
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 dried red chilli
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- 1 whole cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 4 curry leaves
- 1 handful of dried apricots
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 small cauliflower, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 handful green beans, roughly diced
- 1 heaped tbsp peach chutney
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped parsley
- 4 flatbreads, to serve
Cook the rice to packet instructions.
Toast the spices in a dry frying pan over a low heat. Grind in a spice grinder or pestle and mortar. Place in a jar and seal tightly with a lid ready to use.
Place the apricots in a bowl of warm water for 10 minutes or until rehydrated. Drain, cut into small slices and set aside.
Place the oil in a frying pan set over a medium heat. Add the onions, peppers and garlic and fry for 10 minutes or until soft.
Stir in a tablespoon of the spice mix. Add the cauliflower, chickpeas and green beans. Carefully, pour in a little boiling water and simmer for about 10–15 minutes or until soft. Stir in the apricots and chutney and sprinkle over the parsley.
Serve with the rice and flatbreads.