less than 30 mins
10 to 30 mins
For the quick onion pickle
- 1 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 lemons, juice only
- 1 tbsp sea salt
For the red cabbage slaw
- ½ head red cabbage, sliced on a mandolin
- 1 large carrot, roughly grated
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1–2 tbsp lemon juice
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the burgers
- 250g/9oz chorizo, roughly chopped
- 500g/1lb2oz chicken mince
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, toasted
- 1–2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 250g/9oz halloumi, thickly sliced
- 1 avocado, peeled, destoned and cut into 8 slices
- 4 Baby Gem lettuce leaves
- 4 wholemeal buns or pitta bread, split and toasted
For the onion pickle, put the onion, lemon juice and salt in a bowl and combine gently with your hands. Set aside.
For the slaw, combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
For the burgers, blitz the chorizo in a food processor until smooth. Transfer to a mixing bowl and combine with the chicken mince and fennel seeds. Form into four patties that have a diameter of roughly 8cm/3¼in.
Heat the oil in large frying pan and fry the burgers for 3–4 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper and keep warm. Use the oil in the pan to fry the halloumi slices for 2–3 minutes on each side, or until golden.
Place the burgers in the buns with the halloumi, onions, avocado slices and lettuce leaves. Serve with the slaw on the side or stuff inside if you wish.