less than 30 mins
10 to 30 mins
- 450g/1lb egg noodles (dried or fresh)
- dash sesame oil
- 450g/1lb fresh beansprouts, ends removed
- 50g/2oz shredded cured ham or lean English smoked bacon
For the sauce
- 300ml/10fl oz chicken stock
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine (or dry sherry)
- 1½ tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 3 tbsp finely chopped spring onion
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground white pepper
- 2 tsp sesame oil
Bring a pan of water to the boil and cook the noodles for 3–5 minutes. Drain and immerse in cold water. Drain again, then toss with sesame oil. Set aside.
Heat a large wok or pan until hot. Add all the sauce ingredients, except for the sesame oil and bring to a simmer. Turn down the heat, add the noodles and toss well.
Turn the heat back to high and add the beansprouts and ham and another dash of sesame oil. Stir-fry for 3 minutes, or until the noodles are thoroughly heated. Tip onto a warm platter and serve.