Rapeseed oil is a great oil to use in mayonnaise – perfect for dipping deep-fried bundles of cheesy deliciousness in this easy tapas recipe.
- For the ham and cheese croquetas
- 75g/2½oz butter
- 200g/7oz plain flour
- 500ml/18fl oz milk
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 75g/2½oz fresh breadcrumbs
- 150g/5½oz ham, chopped
- 100g/3½oz Lincolnshire poacher cheese
- 1 small bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 75g/2½oz plain flour
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten
- 100g/3½oz panko Japanese breadcrumbs
- rapeseed oil, for deep frying
- For the rapeseed mayonnaise
- 3 free-range egg yolks
- 1-2 tsp English mustard
- 100ml/3½fl oz rapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- For the ham and cheese croquetas, melt the butter in a large saucepan, then whisk in the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes. Whisk in the milk gradually to make a thick sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the breadcrumbs, ham, cheese and parsley. Place in the fridge to chill for 3-4 hours.
- Shape the chilled mixture into 7cm/2¾in cylinders. Place the flour, beaten eggs and breadcrumbs in three separate bowls. Coat each croqueta in the flour, then egg and finish with a layer of panko breadcrumbs.
- Add the oil to a deep-fat fryer and preheat to 170C/338F. (CAUTION: hot oil can be dangerous. Do not leave unattended.)
- Deep fry the croquetas in batches until golden-brown. Remove and drain on a plate lined with kitchen paper.
- To make the mayonnaise, whisk the egg yolks with the mustard in a bowl and then very gradually add the oil, whisking continuously. Stir through the vinegar, then season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the croquetas on a board with a bowl of the mayonnaise for dipping.