Bake your way into heaven with freshlly made lemon curd and cloud-like meringue.
Equipment and preparation: You’ll need a piping bag with a small, plain nozzle and a separate disposable piping bag.
- For the meringue
- 8 free-range egg whites
- 200g/7oz caster sugar
- For the lemon curd
- 4 lemons, zest and juice
- 110g/4oz butter
- 175g/6oz caster sugar
- 4 free-range eggs, beaten
- 500ml/17fl oz double cream
- For the garnish
- 110g/4oz white caster sugar
- 400g/14oz strawberries, halved
- 2-3 tbsp icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 100C/210F/Gas ¼. Line four baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Whisk the egg whites in a bowl and until soft peaks are formed. Gradually add the sugar and continue to whisk until glossy and well combined. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a small plain nozzle.
- Draw 4 x 20cm/8in diameter circles onto the baking trays and starting in the middle, pipe the meringue in a spiral to fill each circle, keeping the mixture as flat as possible.
- Place the meringue into the oven and cook for 20 minutes, or until the mixture holds it shape. Turn off the heat and leave in the oven for at least two hours. Once crisp, remove the meringue from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile for the lemon curd, place the lemon zest, juice, butter and sugar into a bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Whisk occasionally until well combined, then beat in the eggs until well combined and continue to cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring continuously, until the mixture thickens. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool completely.
- Whisk the double cream in a large bowl until soft peaks form, then fold in the lemon curd and mix gently. Spoon the mixture into a piping bag and snip the end off, to give a hole about 1.5cm/½in wide.
- For the garnish, heat the caster sugar and 50ml/2fl oz water in a frying pan the sugar melts and the mixture is golden-brown in colour.
- To assemble the cake, place a meringue disc onto a serving plate. Starting at the middle of the cake, pipe the lemon curd cream in a spiral onto the to cover the entire meringue. Place another meringue disc on top and cover with the cream. Repeat with the remaining meringue and cream, finishing with meringue on top.
- Drizzle the liquid caramel over the top of the meringue and decorate with half of the strawberry halves.
- Blend the remaining strawberry halves in a food processor with a teaspoon of the icing sugar until smooth. Pass the mixture through a fine sieve into a serving bowl.