- james martin recipes
- Trio of crème brûlées with palmiers
- For the crème brûlées
- 75g/2½oz caster sugar
- 5 free-range egg yolks
- 250ml/10½fl oz milk
- 250ml/10½fl oz double cream
- 40g/1½oz dark chocolate, finely chopped
- ½ lemon, zest and juice only
- 1 small bunch mint leaves, picked and roughly chopped
- ¼ tsp peppermint essence, plus a few drops extra
- 4 tbsp demerara sugar
- For the palmiers
- 250g/10½oz ready-made puff pastry
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- To serve
- 4 sprigs fresh mint
- 4 twists lemon peel
- 4 shards dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 140C/285F/Gas 1
- For the crème brûlées, lightly butter 12 very small ramekins.
- Place the sugar and egg yolks into a bowl and whisk together.
- Place the milk and cream into a pan over a low heat and bring to the boil.
- Gradually pour the hot milk and cream mixture onto the eggs, whisking constantly to combine.
- Place the chocolate into a clean bowl. Pour a third of the custard onto the chocolate and whisk well until all the chocolate has melted.
- Strain the chocolate custard into four of the ramekins.
- Pour half of the remaining custard into a clean bowl. Add the lemon zest and juice, stir to combine, then pour into four of the clean ramekins.
- When the caramel has cooled, garnish each mint crème brûlée with a sprig of mint; garnish the lemon crème brûlées with a twist of lemon peel; and garnish the chocolate crème brûlées with some shards of chocolate.
- Add several palmiers to the plate and serve.
Less than 30 mins preparation time
30 mins to 1 hour cooking time