less than 30 mins
10 to 30 mins
- 150g/5½oz buccatini or spaghetti
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- pinch fennel seeds
- 3 anchovy fillets
- 150g/5½oz sardine fillets
- 30ml/1fl oz dry white wine
- 3 tbsp sultanas
- 2 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
- 100g/3½oz fresh breadcrumbs, toasted
Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and add the buccatini. Cook according to the packet instructions, or until al dente.
Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the onion, fennel and fennel seeds and cook for 5 minutes until softened. Add the anchovies and mash with the back of spoon.
Add the sardines and pour in the wine. Allow to bubble until reduced, cover and cook for a few minutes, until the sardines are cooked through.
Drain the pasta and add to the sardines with the sultanas and pine nuts. Stir well, sprinkle over the breadcrumbs and serve.