less than 30 mins
10 to 30 mins
By Matt Tebbutt
From Saturday Kitchen
For the confit artichokes
- 400ml/14fl oz olive oil
- 2 large or 6 baby globe artichokes, leaves and hairy ‘chokes’ removed, trimmed
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
- 100g/3½oz plain flour
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the kale and apple dressing
- 2 handfuls roughly chopped kale, stalks removed
- 1 banana shallot, finely diced
- 2 tbsp baby capers
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 apple, diced
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
To make the confit artichokes, place the olive oil into a large saucepan and add the artichokes and garlic. Heat the oil to 85C and cook for around 30 minutes. When the artichokes are completely soft and cooked through, remove from the oil and set aside.
Preheat a deep fat fryer to 180C. Place the flour in a wide bowl and season with salt and pepper. Dip the artichokes in the seasoned flour, then deep fry for 2 minutes or until crispy. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
To make the dressing, place the kale, shallot, capers, garlic and apple in a large bowl and mix.
In a separate bowl, mix together the vinegar and oil and season with salt and pepper. Just before serving, add the dressing to the salad ingredients and mix to combine.
Place the kale and apple salad into the centre of the plate and top with the confit artichokes.