less than 30 mins
30 mins to 1 hour
By Matt Tebbutt
From Saturday Kitchen
For the damson chutney
- 2 cloves
- ½ tsp black peppercorns
- 1 star anise
- 500g/1lb 2oz damsons, stones removed and quartered
- 150g/5½oz dark muscovado sugar
- 1 large Bramley apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 100ml/3½fl oz cider vinegar
For the grilled cheese
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 250g/9oz hard sheep’s cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- 50g/1¾oz cobnuts, roasted and roughly chopped
- 6 thin slices baguette, toasted
To make the damson chutney, tie the cloves, peppercorns and star anise up in a piece of muslin. Put into a large saucepan with the remaining chutney ingredients. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30–40 minutes, or until the damsons are soft. Set aside to cool slightly, discarding the muslin bag of spices.
To make the grilled cheese, preheat the grill to high. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and lay the rosemary flat on top, before topping with the cheese. Drizzle over the oil, then grill for 2–3 minutes until starting to melt. Do not turn the cheese over, you want it to be grilled on one side and holding its shape.
To serve, place the cheese on a serving plate along with the damson chutney, honey, cobnuts and toasted baguette.