- matt tebbutt recipes
- Pea soup topped with roasted salt cod
10 to 30 mins
- 250g/9oz cod loin steak, skin on
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 500g/1lb2oz frozen peas
- handful watercress leaves
- 500ml/18fl oz vegetable stock
- ½ fennel bulb, core removed and thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 25g/1oz fresh chervil, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh peas, blanched
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Rub the cod loin steak with salt and leave to stand for at least 1 hour.
Heat the oil in a frying pan and sweat the shallots and garlic for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add the frozen peas and watercress and pour in the stock.
Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer for 2–3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a food processor. Blitz until smooth.
Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
Place the fennel in a small bowl and sprinkle with some salt. Leave to stand for 5 minutes then stir in the chervil, vinegar and sugar. Toss together with the peas and season with salt and pepper.
Place the salt cod, flesh-side down, in a roasting tin and drizzle over the olive oil. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes, or until golden and cooked through. Cut into four pieces.
To serve, divide the fennel salad between four soup bowls. Reheat the soup then pour into the bowls and top with the pieces of roasted cod.