- matt tebbutt recipes
- Salt cod croquettes with apple and horseradish remoulade
less than 30 mins
10 to 30 mins
For the croquettes
- 350g/12oz salt cod, soaked overnight, water changed 4–5 times and drained
- 150g/5½oz cold cooked potato
- 2 banana shallots, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp finely chopped dill
- 100g/3½oz plain flour
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten
- 100g/3½oz panko breadcrumbs
- sunflower oil, for deep-frying
For the remoulade
- 1–2 tbsp horseradish sauce
- 1 tbsp crème fraîche
- 2 Braeburn apples, cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 lemon, juice only
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the lovage oil
- 1 bunch lovage
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil or light olive oil
- thumb-sized piece fresh horseradish root
To make the croquettes, shred the cod and mix with the potato. Blend in a food processor with the shallot and garlic. Stir in the herbs and shape the mixture into 6 croquettes.
Put the flour, eggs and breadcrumbs into three separate shallow bowls. Dip each croquette in the flour, pat off any excess, then coat in the egg before dipping in the breadcrumbs.
Heat the oil a deep-fat fryer to 180C. (Caution: hot oil can be dangerous. Never leave unattended.) Deep-fry the croquettes until golden and crispy. Drain on kitchen paper.
To make the remoulade, mix together the horseradish sauce, crème fraîche, apple matchsticks and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
To make the lovage oil, blanch the lovage in boiling water for 30 seconds. Drain and refresh under cold water. Blitz with the oil.
To serve, divide the remoulade between two serving plates and top with 3 croquettes. Grate over some fresh horseradish and drizzle with the lovage oil.
You may also like...