- matt tebbutt recipes
- Spiced braised venison and beetroot
less than 30 mins
over 2 hours
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 red chilli, roughly chopped
- 4 cardamom pods
- 2 dried chillies
- 2 star anise
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- ½ tsp allspice
- 500g/1lb 2oz diced shoulder of venison
- 2 beetroot, peeled and grated
- 200ml/7fl oz beetroot juice
- 400g tin tomatoes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 225g/8oz basmati rice
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh chervil
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh dill
- 150ml/5fl oz soured cream
- 4 slices rye bread
Heat the oil in a large flame-proof casserole dish over a medium heat and fry the onion, garlic and chilli for 5 minutes, until softened. Add the dried spices and cook for a further minute.
Add the venison and fry for 5 minutes, then stir in the beetroot, beetroot juice, tomatoes and enough water to cover. Season with salt and pepper, put the lid on and braise in the oven for 2 hours, or until the meat is tender and the sauce has thickened.
Stir the dill through the soured cream.
Cook the rice according to packet instructions, then serve the venison over rice with the tarragon and chervil sprinkled on top. Serve with the dill soured cream and rye bread.