less than 30 mins
10 to 30 mins
By Michel Roux Jr.
From Saturday Kitchen
- 6 heritage carrots, preferably in red, yellow and orange, with the green tops still intact, peeled and washed
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- rapeseed oil, for drizzling
- 60g/2¼oz butter
- 1 bunch garlic scapes, sliced
- 100g/3½oz fresh green almonds, cracked and peeled
- 1 lemon, juice only
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6
Remove the green tops from the carrots, finely chop and set aside.
Blanch the carrots for 3 minutes in a large pan of salted water.
Remove the orange carrots and blitz with some of the cooking water, some salt and a drizzle of rapeseed oil until it becomes a smooth sauce consistency.
Put the remaining carrots in a baking dish and dot with most of the butter. Roast for 25 minutes until golden and sweet.
Sweat the garlic scapes in the remaining butter and a little water.
Roll the roasted carrots in the chopped carrot tops.
Pour some carrot sauce on a plate, place the carrots and scapes on top and sprinkle some fresh almonds around and then drizzle a little dressing made with lemon juice and rapeseed oil.