10 to 30 mins
By Anna Haugh
From Saturday Kitchen
For the doughnuts
- 125g/4½oz plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 20g/¾oz caster sugar, plus 100g/3½oz for rolling
- large pinch salt
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- 1 vanilla pod, split and seeds scraped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra for deep frying
For the filling
- 200ml/7fl oz double cream (or use 200ml/7fl oz plain yoghurt)
- 110g/4oz caster sugar, divided
- 1 vanilla pod, split and seeds scraped (or use 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- 400g tin strawberries, drained (or use any tinned fruit, such as peaches)
- 2 limes, zest and juice
- few sprigs mint
To make the doughnuts, place the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment and mix for 1 minute. Add the remaining ingredients and 1 tablespoon of water and work until a dough is formed. Divide into 8 balls and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper until ready to cook.
To make the filling, whip the cream with 60g/2oz sugar and the vanilla seeds, reserving the vanilla pod.
Place the strawberries, remaining sugar, vanilla pod and lime juice in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Cook for a few minutes until the strawberries break down and then purée in a blender if the strawberry pieces are still too big. Cool rapidly by placing in a bowl and immersing the bowl in another bowl of ice. Stir in half of the lime zest.
Preheat a deep fat fryer to 160C. (CAUTION: hot oil can be dangerous. Do not leave unattended.) Gently lower the doughnuts into the fryer and cook for 6–8 minutes, until golden-brown. Transfer to kitchen paper to cool and then roll in the sugar. Cut open and fill with the vanilla cream and strawberry purée. Garnish with the remaining lime zest and the mint and serve.