less than 30 mins
30 mins to 1 hour
By Mo Gilligan
From Saturday Kitchen
- 250g/9oz macaroni
- 50g/1¾oz unsalted butter
- 50g/1¾oz plain flour
- 600ml/20fl oz full-fat milk
- 50g/1¾oz mature cheddar, plus 30g/1oz for the top, grated
- 50g/1¾oz Parmesan, plus 30g/1oz for the top, grated
- 50g/1¾oz Red Leicester, plus 30g/1oz for the top, grated
- 100g/3½oz mozzarella, torn
- 100g/3½oz cheesy corn puffs, crushed
Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Bring a saucepan of lightly salted water to the boil and cook the pasta according to the packet instructions. Drain and set aside.
Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the flour and cook for 1–2 minutes. Gradually add the milk, whisking all the time until there is a smooth sauce. Add the cheeses and stir until melted. Add the pasta to the sauce and mix. Pour the mac and cheese into a large ovenproof dish and top with the remaining cheeses and corn puffs.
Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.