A modern twist to an easy roast dinner with a grapefruit salad drizzled in a white balsamic dressing.
less than 30 mins
1 to 2 hours
From Saturday Kitchen
For the roast chicken with beer butter shallots
- 1 whole chicken (around 1.5kg/3lb 5oz)
- 150ml/5fl oz IPA
- 150ml/5fl oz olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp sea salt flakes
- 6 large (or 8 small) banana shallots, peeled and halved lengthways
- 2–3 fresh thyme sprigs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the dressing
- ½ banana shallot (or 1 normal shallot), very finely diced
- 30ml/2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- 60m/4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
For the raw kale and grapefruit salad
- 30g/1oz flaked almonds
- 100g/3½oz cavolo nero, stalks removed and leaves shredded
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 tsp chopped fresh dill
- ½ grapefruit, peeled, segmented and finely chopped
- 40g/1½oz ricotta salata or Parmesan, finely grated
- freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas 7. Dry the chicken thoroughly with kitchen paper then season generously with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a large cast-iron pot, whisk together the IPA, olive oil, garlic and 2 tsp sea salt flakes. Add the shallots and thyme.
Place the chicken on top of the shallots and roast, with the lid off, for around 1 hour until the shallots are soft and starting to caramelise, and the chicken is golden brown and cooked through. The juices should run clear with no trace of pink when a knife or skewer is poked into the thickest part of the chicken leg between the drumstick and the thigh. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 20 minutes.
To make the dressing, place the finely diced shallot in a jar along with the balsamic vinegar and salt, then set aside to soak for 15 minutes. Add the extra virgin olive oil, screw on the jar lid and shake to combine.
Meanwhile, make the raw kale and grapefruit salad. Place the almonds in a dry frying pan over a medium heat and toast for 1–2 minutes, turning halfway through, until starting to turn golden.
In a large bowl, combine the cavolo nero with the dressing and use your hands to massage together and soften the leaves. Add the rest of the ingredients (but hold back a tablespoon or so of the cheese) and toss to combine. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and serve alongside the carved chicken and beer butter shallots.