less than 30 mins
10 to 30 mins
Hairy Bikers recipes
For the meatballs
- 500g/1lb 2oz minced beef or lamb
- 1 onion, very finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- small handful finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- small handful finely chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- 1 egg yolk
For the sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 400g/14oz can chopped tomatoes, drained of excess juice
- 2 tsp honey
- 200g/7oz frozen peas
- 4 free-range eggs
- chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
For the meatballs, place the minced beef or lamb, onion, garlic, spices, fresh herbs, egg yolk and some salt and pepper into a large bowl.
Use your hands to mix all the ingredients together until well combined. Shape into walnut-sized balls and set aside.
For the sauce, heat the olive oil in a tagine or heavy-bottomed casserole dish. Add the onion and cook slowly over a low heat until translucent.
Increase the heat to medium-high, add the meatballs and brown lightly.
Stir the tomato purée into the chopped tomatoes then add to the tagine with the honey.
Stir gently, cover and simmer for ten minutes.
Stir in the peas, then break the eggs on top of the stew, turn the heat right down and cook with the lid on for about ten minutes, or until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
Sprinkle over the chopped parsley and serve.