less than 30 mins
10 to 30 mins
Hairy Bikers recipes
From The Hairy Bikers' Comfort Food
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 25g/1oz butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large courgette, coarsely grated
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 300g/10½oz risotto rice
- 100ml/3½fl oz white wine or vermouth
- 1.2 litres/2lb 11oz chicken or vegetable stock
- 150g/5½oz potted shrimp (3 small pots)
- 50g/1¾ oz parmesan cheese
- extra grating of nutmeg (optional)
- few basil leaves
Heat the olive oil in a large pan with the butter. When the butter has melted and started to foam, add the onion and cook slowly over a gentle heat until soft and translucent. Add the garlic, courgette, lemon zest and rice. Stir until the rice is glossy.
Turn up the heat and pour in the wine or vermouth. Leave it to bubble up for a minute until most of it has boiled off, then turn down the heat to a medium setting. Add a ladleful of the hot stock and stir continuously until it has all been absorbed. Repeat until you have added all the stock – by this time the rice should be creamy with a very slight al dente texture.
Add the potted shrimp – it’s up to you how much of the butter on top of the shrimp you add. Tip in the cheese and beat vigorously. Taste and add an extra grating of nutmeg if you think it needs it, then stir in a few basil leaves. Serve at once.