less than 30 mins
10 to 30 mins
From The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best
- 1 medium pumpkin, or butternut squash
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2.5cm/1in piece of root ginger, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ Scotch bonnet chilli, seeds removed, chopped
- 4–5 sprigs thyme
- 400ml/14fl oz coconut milk
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- breadfruit or sweet potato chunks, to taste (optional)
Cut the pumpkin in half, then into wedges. Peel and deseed each wedge and cut the pumpkin flesh into 2.5cm/1in cubes.
Put the pumpkin in a large pan with the onion, ginger, garlic and chilli. Strip the leaves from the thyme and add to the pan.
Pour in about 400ml/14fl oz of water, bring to the boil and cook until the pumpkin has turned to a pulp.
Add the coconut milk and season to taste with salt, then reduce the heat and leave the soup to simmer for another 5–10 minutes.
If you like, add chunks of breadfruit or sweet potato towards the end of the cooking. Serve hot in bowls.