less than 30 mins
30 mins to 1 hour
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 anchovy fillet
- 2 sticks lemongrass, finely shredded
- 2 lime leaves
- 10cm/1in fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 aubergines, chopped into cubes
- bunch fresh coriander, finely sliced stalks, leaves separated
- 400ml tin coconut milk
- Thai fish sauce, to taste
- 250g/9oz baby spinach
- handful Thai basil
- 150g/5½oz butter
- 150ml/5fl oz light fish stock
- 8 prawns, shells reserved
- 1 large trout, filleted, boneless
- bunch chives, finely chopped
- squeeze lime
Place a saucepan over a medium heat and cook the onions and garlic for 10 minutes or until soft. Stir in the anchovy fillet until it has dissolved then add the lemon grass, lime leaves and ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add the aubergines, coriander stalks, coconut milk and fish sauce to taste. Simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in the spinach, coriander and basil leaves, reserving a little to garnish.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat, stir in the stock and prawn shells and bring to a simmer. Turn the heat to its lowest setting and place the fish fillets into the liquid, skin side up. Cook gently for 6-8 minutes adding the prawns halfway through.
To serve, spoon the coconut mixture between two large shallow bowls, scatter over the chives, prawns and break over the poached trout. Garnish with more coriander and basil leaves and a squeeze lime.