less than 30 mins
10 to 30 mins
By Matt Tebbutt
From Saturday Kitchen
For the veal stroganoff
- 100g/3½oz unsalted butter
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 400g/14oz white mushrooms, sliced
- handful fresh black trumpet mushrooms
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 500g/1lb 2oz veal rump, sliced
- 50ml/2fl oz cognac
- 150ml/5fl oz hot beef stock
- 200ml/7fl oz soured cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 gherkins, finely chopped
- 100ml/3½fl oz soured cream
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- ground black pepper
To make the stroganoff, melt half of the butter in a large saucepan, add the onions and fry for 10 minutes. Add the mushrooms and fry until brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Place the flour in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add the veal to the bowl and toss to coat well.
Add the remaining butter to the pan over a high heat and fry the veal quickly before adding the cognac and flambé by tipping the pan towards the flame or carefully lighting using cooks’ matches. (CAUTION: make sure there are no flammable materials above the pan when flaming.) Pour in the stock and soured cream, add the cooked mushrooms and stir to combine.
Serve the stroganoff with the gherkins, more soured cream, parsley and plenty of black pepper.