less than 30 mins
10 to 30 mins
By Nigel Slater
From Nigel Slater’s Simple Suppers
- 8 large fresh figs
- 2 tbsp or so runny honey
- splash or two Marsala wine (port or Madeira work equally as well)
- ready-made vanilla ice cream, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Cut a deep cross down into each fig, nearly to the bottom, then squeeze the sides of each fig to expose the juicy flesh. Place the figs into a lidded baking dish.
- Drizzle over the honey and Marsala wine, ensuring some runs down inside the figs. Cover with the lid and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Serve the figs immediately with ice cream and the boozy syrup from the baking dish. Alternatively, serve with cream, custard or mascarpone.