For the roasted peppers and onions
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ¼ Scotch bonnet chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 100ml/3½fl oz white wine vinegar
- 50g/1¾oz caster sugar
For the ackee and saltfish
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp finely crushed garlic
- pinch thyme leaves
- 1 tsp finely chopped Scotch bonnet chilli
- ½ green pepper, finely chopped
- ½ red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 240g/8¾oz boiled salt cod, broken into flakes
- 200g/7oz tinned ackee, drained and left whole
For the potato and plantain röstis
- 500g/1lb 2oz potatoes, peeled and grated
- 500g/1lb 2oz plantain, peeled and grated
- ½ onion, grated
- 70g/2½oz unsalted butter
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 free-range eggs
- 1 avocado, destoned, peeled and sliced
Preheat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas 7.
Put the peppers, onions, thyme, garlic, chillies and oil into a large baking tray and season with salt and pepper. Mix together and roast for 20–25 minutes.
Put the vinegar and sugar into a saucepan with 300ml/10fl oz of water and bring to the boil. Add the roasted peppers and onions to the saucepan and set aside to pickle until cool.
Meanwhile, for the ackee and saltfish, heat the oil in a frying pan and sweat the onions and garlic for 5 minutes. Add the thyme and scotch bonnet and sweat gently for a further 10 minutes. Add the peppers and sweat for a few more minutes until soft. Add the tomato and cook for a further 10 minutes over a low heat. Stir through the saltfish and then add the ackee, turning it very gently through the mixture.
For the plantain and potato röstis, fold a clean tea towel around the grated potato and squeeze to remove as much moisture as possible. Combine the potato, plantain and onion in a bowl. Heat the butter in a small frying pan and then add rösti-size amounts of the potato mixture to the pan. Cook, using the back of a spoon to push down to form the mixture into a condensed cake, for 4–5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
Meanwhile, boil the eggs for 6–7 minutes until soft-boiled. Put imemdiately into cold water and when slightly cooled, peel and slice in half.
To serve, put the röstis onto serving plates and top with the ackee and saltfish. Scatter over the peppers and onions, egg and avocado and serve.