less than 30 mins
less than 10 mins
Hairy Bikers recipes
From The Hairy Bikers' Cook Off
For the spice paste
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- pinch nutmeg
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 2 shallots, peeled
- 25g/1oz unsalted peanuts
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 birds’-eye chillies, seeds removed
- 1 tbsp palm sugar
- 1-2 tbsp vegetable oil, or more if necessary
For the stir-fry
- 2 tbsp vegetable or groundnut oil, plus extra for frying the eggs
- 2 chicken breasts, skin removed, cut into thin strips
- 200g/7oz prawns, heads and shells removed and de-veined
- 110g/4oz fine green beans, trimmed and sliced into 1cm/½in pieces
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 275g/10oz cooked long-grain rice (this must be cold)
- splash light soy sauce
- splash ketjap manis (Indonesian soy sauce)
- 4 free-range eggs
For the garnish
- ½ cucumber, peeled, seeds removed, finely diced
- 1 tbsp roughly chopped coriander
- 50g/2oz peanuts
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- handful crispy fried shallots
- Asian-style chilli oil, to serve
For the spice paste, blend all of the spice paste ingredients together in a food processor. Add enough oil to bring the mixture together as a loose paste. Set aside.
For the stir-fry, heat the oil in a wok over a high heat until shimmering hot, then add the chicken and fry for a minute or so, then add the spice paste and prawns and stir well, cooking for a good 4-5 minutes.
Add the beans and spring onions and fry for another minute, keeping everything moving.
Add the cooked rice and stir until it's all been incorporated – you can add a few tablespoons of water at this point if it becomes a little dry and starts to stick. Season with soy sauce and ketjap manis, to taste.
Heat a little of the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and fry the eggs until crisp at the edges and cooked to your liking.
To serve, divide the stir-fry between two bowls, place two eggs on top and sprinkle over the garnish ingredients. Serve with the chilli oil on the side, for drizzling.